Hope Street Yard is an oasis of independent traders in the heart of Romsey.
But it’s been up for sale for some months. And there’s a meeting tonight at 18:00 at Hope Street Yard, Hope St, Cambridge CB1 3NA with a prospective purchaser, who is concerned to hear our views about the future of the Yard.
Please come along and make your views known!
Mill Road Summer and Over Mill Road Bridge hosted a packed public meeting at St Phillips Church on Mill Road last Thursday evening. We wanted
- to review and seek feedback from Romsey & Petersfield residents and traders about their experiences during the bridge closure
- to ask how those experiences could translate into a vision for the future of Mill Road and the surrounding area
In this post you can find
Immediate actions from the meeting are
- establish a Working Party including representation from the whole of Mill Road, residents, councillors and traders (want to get involved? Use the form below)
- hold a further public meeting (in a larger venue!) where we
- start to find a concensus around a vision for Mill Road
- agree practical steps to progress this vision
Video and Presentations
Over Mill Road Bridge
Architects report re the Parklet
Chair of the Petersfield Organising Group, Linda Jones, reported on the vibrant festival delivered by local groups in spite of the bridge closure, continued high traffic volumes, disruptive Cadent gas works and awful fire at Gee’s electrical store. Nearly 20 events were organised focusing on music, dance, history, art and writing. The History Happening day and the 3 Car Boot Sales attracted hundreds of people and the Group secured a community legacy – including a digital piano, sound system, banners and folding tables.
Chair of the Mill Rd Traders’ association, Shapour Meftah, praised the work of organisers in staging the festival but highlighted the loss of trade for many traders caused by bridge closure, gas works and fire. Traders wanted to work with the local community of Mill Rd, but it would only thrive if people could access the shops easily.
Please let us have your thoughts, and let us know if you think you can help us campaign for the future of Mill Road. You can read about how we will take care of the information you provide here.